Biodiversity facilities in the framework of Step 2 of the Boucle de l'Est (Elia)
- Skills Landscaping
- Ongoing 2019-2023
- Location East of the province of Liege
- 5 municipalities involved
- 25 field actions
In the context of major infrastructure projects carried out by Elia (Boucle de l'Est, Step 2), Ecofirst helps the impacted municipalities to implement landscaping and biodiversity actions on their territory.
Ecofirst uses the expertise of its hole team (biologists, foresters, negotiators) to propose to the municipalities the most relevant landscaping plans according to the local ecological issues. On the basis of an opportunity report written by Ecofirst, the municipalities select the projects to be implemented and rely on Ecofirst's technical knowledge to carry out these actions, in partnership with the actors of the territory (DNF and DCENN, Natural Parks, river contracts, tourist office and communal authorities).
Through its participation in the management of funds supporting these projects, Ecofirst ensures an administrative follow-up of the financing of the developments.
Examples of landscape planning projects associated with the Elia East Loop - Step 2:
- Water-related developments: control of the Himalayan balsam, installation of fish caches, creation of (networks of) ponds
- Diversification plantations in agricultural areas (hedges, orchards, agroforestry, ...) or forest areas (edges, ...)
- Landscaping for the general public: restoration of viewing points, walking trails, reception areas, observatories, etc
- Other installations : hanging nesting boxes, settlement of information panels, implementation of a project for the "Collectif Forêt" (Dynamic and sustainable forest management on Malmedy, Stoumont and Stavelot).
- TV news of the local television Vedia, May 28, 2021 (in French)
- Press article of the RTBF, May 25, 2021 (in French)